Monday, October 8, 2012

Is the school board sensitive to our financial crisis?


Is the school board sensitive to those citizens who are struggling financially? I ask because I heard Mr. Studdiford say we should support these bond measures because we are getting a good deal. Does he understand that we are getting a good deal because the economy, including my wages, are in the tank? I currently have been putting more money into our school facilities than I am putting into my house which is in need of repair.  In fact, we are now learning that compared to surrounding districts, we are NOT getting a good deal.
Mr. Enos said his father told him to never pass on an opportunity to pay for our schools. Of course, because we are also paying for the salaries of those like Mr. Enos and his father who work for the schools. I'd say the same thing if I were them.
During this economic crisis, we have been seeking relief any way we can get it. Maybe skipping this bond measure might be that relief. Homeowners are trying to keep and maintain their homes. In some cases, a family member has lost their job, so we are helping them, too.
When I listen to the board and the candidates, I'm observing a disconnect between themselves and me, the taxpayer. They tell us that the state is making cuts. The state is making cuts because many Californians are broke or are struggling. We are also being asked to support additional taxes for fire and safety.
This is when I take a closer look at our board members and candidates and ask myself "As citizens, who are they and are they truly able to represent me?"

2 comments:

  1. Charley Cowens provides evidence as to the good deal we are NOT getting
    http://met3000.cowens.net/page/2/

    Read California League of Bond Oversight Committee (CaLBOC) newsletter
    http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs055/1102591690180/archive/1110872486996.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer is no. It's sort of like the Norquist Pledge turned inside out.

      Delete