Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Letter to the WCCUSD board

Dear WCCUSD Board President Ramsey and members of the board,

In response to Mr. Radin's (copied) recent article regarding the West Contra Costa Unified School District's use of intern teachers, I am requesting a statement as to why the 2010-11 School Accountability Report Cards do not include the information regarding the number of credentialed and non-credentialed teachers.  All surrounding districts have provided this information. The WCCUSD documents have been left blank with respect to item #V.  The documents are found here


I understand there might be a valid reason for the omission of this information, but it does cause me concern that this information has not been provided, especially with the recent request of approve a school parcel tax.  As a taxpayer, I would like to know exactly what I am paying for prior to approving any future parcel tax.  It is important to me that I see the distribution of non-credentialed teachers per school site, but this information is currently missing.  I do not see this information as interchangeable with the NCLB data that is included on the report.  

As I shared with the board during public comment at the July 2nd special meeting in El Cerrito, these documents are required by law to be completed prior to posting.  The SARC staff from the CA Dept. of Ed (copied) have informed me that it is the responsibility of the local school board to review and approve these documents prior to posting. 

Will these documents be updated anytime soon, President Ramsey?  The WASC accreditation Executive Director, Mr. David Brown (copied) has informed me that the accreditation survey team will request that these documents be completed as a requirement of the survey process. 

Thank you for any clarification you can provide regarding this matter.

Sincerely,
Giorgio Cosentino, Hercules parent who voted yes on Measure K

No comments:

Post a Comment